Saturday 25 October 2014

Cadbury World!

Last Saturday my cousin (from now on referred to as C-Bear) and I went to Cadbury World in Birmingham. It was magical in so many ways – we had a blast driving up, which took 2 ½ hours from where we live. C-Bear kindly drove so I actually managed to get loads of work done, too (which paid off as on Monday I taught my ‘best lesson yet’ on the CELTA course).

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted with the most wonderful, rich smell of chocolate. I don’t know what I was more excited about, getting free chocolate on our walk around, seeing how the magic happens or going to the shop afterwards. C-Bear had definitely sold the tour to me; she told me that, just before the end, you’re given a pot of melted chocolate with a choice of toppings. C-Bear accurately described it as ‘a pot of joy’, which it so was!

Pot of joy time

The first part of the tour documents the arrival of Cortez and the fall of the Aztecs, how chocolate came to England, and, of course, the conception of Cadbury’s. Did you know, in the time of the Aztecs, 10 cocoa beans could buy you a rabbit? The second part is focused on how the factory works, so you see the staff creating and packaging the different products. I admire them for being so focused with hundreds of people staring at them while they're working!

That's right, Cadbury's was originally a tea shop which also sold cocoa

We didn't have time to explore the 4-D experience, but we did wander round the museum on the town of Bournville. It was heart-warming to read about Mr Cadbury's concern for the people of Birmingham and how he improved welfare. I found it particularly interesting reading about how the staff contributed to the war effort, either by caring for injured soldiers, sending chocolate to the front, or actually fighting in France.

Visiting Cadbury World was probably one of my favourite days out this year. I'd recommend it for all ages because the tour is interactive, fun and informative. There's plenty to see but you can explore at your own pace.

Ticket prices and booking details can be found here. It is recommended that you book in advance to guarantee entry!

Cadbury World

No comments:

Post a Comment