Thursday 19 December 2013

Recipe: Chickpea Fritters

Hello everyone, I hope with only 6 days to go you're all nearly ready for Christmas. I have 3 presents left to buy and am feeling rather smug about it, actually.

But I'm not here to boast about my super-duper organisation.

About a month ago, I came home from the stables to find my mother in the kitchen 'experimenting' with something for my dinner. Now, when she's done this before it was a delicious chickpea and tomato stew, so I wasn't worried.

Here's what she made:

Chickpea Fritters
This recipe came from the BBC Good Food website, which I recommend as it has some tasty cake recipes. If you love pancakes (which everybody does) but are trying to cut down on carbs, these fritters are a great alternative - the chickpeas give you one of your 5-a-day and boost your protein intake. Unfortunately I can't tell you the nutritional info, as the website includes the side salad in the 'calories per serving', but if you follow the website's recipe including the salad it's still only 417 calories.

You will need:
  • 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 tbsp milk (I use soya because of a dairy allergy, which I conveniently ignore whenever I eat cheese or chocolate)
  • 4 tbsp plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder


  • Blitz half the chickpeas in a food processor until smooth.
  • With the motor still running, add the eggs and milk.
  • Sift in the flour and baking powder without the motor running, or you'll look like you've been snowed on.
  • Blitz again until smooth.
  • Fold in the other chickpeas.
  • Cook like pancakes! I recommend using 1, maybe 2, tbsps of batter so they're easier to flip.

These are also nice cold, and became my morning train journey snack on the way to my Men's Fitness work experience.

Enjoy!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment